Project 2 Part 5: Finalizing the Visuals

Once the mechanism was functional, I needed to paint the entire apparatus, attach the wooden boards and pilings, and make the figure standing on the dock. 



An important consideration was ensuring that nothing would interfere with the rope. It could only be affected by two sources: the platform being pulled down by the cams, and gravity pulling the weight back down the other direction. To ensure this, I cut one of the planks in half to allow for a hole in the middle of the dock. 



For the paint, I did a base coat of brown and then went over some parts later with gray-blue and green to give the wood an aged effect. I also painted the bottom a bluish color to seem like water. The next part was to make the figure. My original prototype was made of aluminum wire, and I had assumed this would be temporary. However, I couldn't really think of a better way to make a movable figure. I thought about 3D printing it, making it out of clay, or fabric, but all of these options either required too much time or didn't seem like they would end up looking that good. I decided to stick with the metal and go for a somewhat abstract look. I still wanted to add clothes to the figure so it would be easier to identify as a fisherman. The clothes are made of felt. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 2 Part 2: Preparing Structural Elements

Project 3: Project Statement

Project 1: Designing and Printing the CD Holder