Project 1: Designing and Printing the CD Holder

The first aspect of the project I focused on was the piece that would hold the CDs at an angle such that they would seem like the leaves of a Venus Fly Trap. I began by sketching out the piece and thinking about its dimensions. 

Although I began working in inches because it's what I'm more familiar with, I quickly switched to millimeters at the suggestion of the instructors. 




My goal was to print an initial test for the CD holder to see how big it would have to be (because it needs to be suspended in the air) and see how well the CDs would sit in the slot. 

At first I designed the slot in the CD holder from above using the sketch tool. It's the same thickness all the way through. 




But before printing, Abhishek suggested I model a version of the CD and use that to cut a hole in my holder. This way, the slot would better match the size of the CD, and the bottom of the slot would be rounded so the CD would sit in it without falling.



I then sized the piece down as much as I thought was reasonable and duplicated it so that one holder could fit both of the CDs. 


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project 2 Part 2: Preparing Structural Elements

Project 3: Project Statement